Article 4(1) in the MEC's Act states that the Council comprise the following members:
- Vice-Chancellors of local universities
- Secretary General of the Ministry of Education
- Director General of Education
- Director of Examinations, Examination Syndicate
- Five members appointed by His Majesty, The King
- Chief Executive of MEC.
At present, the Council comprises 28 members who responsible in determining the policies of MEC's policies on the examination it conducts, subject to the approval of the Minister of Education.
The Chairman of the Council is appointed by His Majesty, The King from amongst Vice-Chancellors of universities. The Chairman's tenure of office is three years.